Euronet Will Launch First ATM Recharge Program in the UK
LEAWOOD, KANSAS — May 6, 2002 — Euronet Worldwide, Inc. (NASDAQ: EEFT), a leading provider of secure electronic financial transaction solutions, today announced Euronet ATM Recharge service agreements with Abbey National plc, the UK bank with relationships in one in three homes, and Orange, the UK's most popular mobile phone service with 12.7 million customers. This service marks the first time that consumers in the UK will be able to add airtime to their prepaid mobile phones via ATMs.
With the implementation of Euronet ATM Recharge, Orange UK's 8.6 million prepaid customers will be able to add minutes automatically to their accounts at any of Abbey National's 3,000 ATMs in bank branches as well as at remote locations. Euronet ATM Recharge is a convenient, secure alternative to vouchers for Abbey National customers with Orange prepay phones, enabling consumers to purchase prepaid minutes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Rollout of the recharge service will begin with a pilot project this month, with full coverage across the entire Abbey National ATM network in the UK to be completed by fall 2002.
"Abbey National and Euronet share our commitment to deliver innovative services and practical solutions to our customers," said Gordon Webber, Orange Head of Global Distribution. "This partnership will give our customers the ability to top up wherever, whenever and however they choose. We are delighted to offer our customers greater choice and flexibility in their payment methods and are pleased to be able to offer this new choice considerably ahead of other operators. Orange Belgium, where customers have had access to ATM top ups for three years, has seen 30% of its customers top up their talk time in this way, so the growth potential in the UK is huge."
By adding the recharge functionality to its ATMs, Abbey National expands its customer convenience and increases revenue opportunity. Mobile subscribers follow a simple three-step process. Customers insert their bank cards at an Abbey National ATM, enter their PIN, then select Automatic Recharge for their prepaid phones.
"Abbey National's innovative approach to banking has yet again taken financial services to the heart of where they are needed with a mobile phone prepaid service at ATMs," said Ambrose McGinn, Abbey National Director of Strategic Development. "We are fully committed to improving the convenience of our financial services, and this new service will give customers yet another opportunity to manage their finances in a way that suits them."
Euronet Worldwide offers mobile operators and financial institutions solutions that enable airtime to be added to consumers' prepaid accounts from ATMs, point-of-sales devices and directly from the mobile phone. The company provides its recharge solutions to 11 GSM mobile operators in Egypt, Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Croatia, Norway, Curacao and Indonesia.
"Euronet is leading the way by using our technological expertise to prompt lifestyle breakthroughs for bank and mobile customers alike," said Michael J. Brown, Euronet Worldwide Chairman and CEO. "The synergy created by financial institutions and mobile operators enables us to revolutionize and optimize electronic payments."
About Euronet Worldwide
Euronet Worldwide is an industry leader in providing secure electronic financial transaction solutions. The company offers financial payment middleware, financial network gateways, outsourcing and consulting services to financial institutions and mobile operators. These solutions enable their customers to access personal financial information and perform secure financial transactions — any time, any place. The company has processing centers located in the United States, Europe and Asia, and owns and operates the largest independent ATM network in Europe. With corporate headquarters in Leawood, Kansas, USA, and European headquarters in Budapest, Hungary, Euronet serves more than 200 clients in 60 countries. Visit our web site at www.euronetworldwide.com.
• Orange, wirefree and any other Orange product or service referred to in this release are trademarks of Orange.
• Orange provides a broad range of personal communications services, including Orange GSM 1800 services and other digital cellular telephone services.
• In August 2000 Orange plc was acquired by France Telecom, leading to the creation of Europe's second largest mobile operator. The new Orange has operations in 20 countries across Europe and beyond, and aims to have a presence in markets covering 1.5 billion people worldwide by 2005.
• At the end of March 2002, Orange had over 12.7 million customers in the UK, 18.3 million in France and approximately 40.5 million controlled customers worldwide.
• In May 2001, for the fourth consecutive year, the J.D. Power and Associates study on the UK mobile market ranked Orange number one for customer satisfaction.
• Orange provides high quality coverage to 99% of the UK population and over 80% of the geographic area. Coverage is based on hand portable, unlike some other operators, which choose to base their coverage on boosted car kits.
• Orange UK now offers roaming in 262 networks in 116 countries.
• Information about Orange can be found on the Orange website at www.orange.co.uk and media information can be found at www.orange.com. For further information, call the Orange media center at +44 20 7984 2000.
About Abbey National
Abbey National plc is the UK's sixth largest banking group as measured by assets.
Abbey National plc and its subsidiaries offer a comprehensive range of personal financial services including savings and investments, mortgages, banking, pensions, unit trusts, life and general insurance products, as well as secured and unsecured lending, to over 16 million customers in the United Kingdom.
The Group's reach also stretches beyond the UK. Abbey National has retail operations in France and Italy, and offshore operations in Jersey, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Portugal, Hong Kong and Dubai. In addition, Abbey National's wholesale banking arm (Abbey National Treasury Services plc) is a leading participant in the international financial markets.